Thursday, May 07, 2015

Development vs Nature

6 May 2015

This is the view from the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building. It is the Observatory on the 45th floor, and the lift goes from L1 to L45 in supposedly 55 seconds. Impressive. Most importantly, it's free.


Tokyo is incredibly densely built, to a point where it's reaching uncomfortable (for me). I can look into the neighbours' apartments, and they mine, so I just constantly have the curtains drawn.


A nice touch that I personally really appreciate is that they have a smattering of greenery in different parts of the city. London was similar; there were parks of varying sizes at different areas of the city,  which provided good refuge and retreat once in a while.


I was in this park on my second day, cutting through it to get to the train station, and there was a family there. The dad was teaching his son how to throw a baseball, while the mum looked on. A sight I will possibly never get in Singapore.


There's a shrine in the same park as well, and I read some of the writings on the plates. Many of the wishes included health and success, and especially for family members.


There's a term in Japanese (素直) which loosely translates to frank and straightforward. If everyone could be more of that, like how these prayers were written, we would perhaps have a lot less mental distress.

No comments: