Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Homestay II

12 May 2015

Wandered around Sendai station today. Went to the Tohoku Pokemon centre, which was a lot smaller than I expected. It's some corner shop in one of the malls.


The roundness of these characters is ridiculous.


I then googled for some things to do around the area, and this free observation deck thing popped up! I love free observation decks.





Sendai is pretty densely built as well, but definitely not as dense as Tokyo. Their streets and roads are much wider also, which is nice and relaxing.



I found this taiyaki recommendation on Google, Taikichi, and decided to hunt it down, and found it!


Maccha & whipped cream taiyaki. The two flavours worked superbly well together. My only gripe was that the pastry was a little soggy, I guess for cold taiyakis they can't have crispy skins.


Studio Ghibli merchandise is everywhere, especially Totoro. 


As I was walking along the street, I found this sign for an extremely inconspicuous cafe. It looked very modern and simple as opposed to every other colourful signboard screaming at passers-by, so I thought I'd go and check it out, and I'm so glad I did.


This is the entrance to the cafe. It's like some cult group gathering haha.


Once you go through the wooden doors, you have to walk through this walkway. Really strange; it's like being transported to a different world.


The light at the end of the tunnel!


The exterior of the cafe. Walk up those stairs, and...


Voila!


Menu



I got a rare cheesecake and latte.


The cheesecake came with strawberry jam that had sesame seeds in it. The sesame seeds were a surprising touch to the jam. The strawberry worked for me, but the sesame didn't cos I'm not a fan of sesame seeds. But the cake was good; creamy and cheesy and delicious.


The latte was good too! I was surprised at the standard cos the Japanese don't really drink coffee. I loved the mug it was served in as well! The way the handle is shaped makes it super easy to hold.


It was a lovely cafe, but photos of the interior weren't allowed. I spent half of the afternoon reading. It was really crowded; I was there for about 2 hours, and it was never quiet or even half empty once. Definitely worth a visit, and I would happily return.

No comments: